There are nights at home when I am excited to pamper myself with a labor-intensive craft cocktail, and there are nights when I barely have the energy to pour something out of a bottle. On one of those second nights (while I was drinking my favorite lazy “cocktail” of choice: bourbon, frozen peaches, water, and cloudy ice) I wondered what everyone else drank when they were in this state:
Understandably, we’d rather show off our prettiest and most effort-intensive cocktails on Instagram than our “what pairs well with last night’s take out” drinks of shame, so these tasty (yet often tasteless) drinks don’t get a lot of attention. But while they might not be too photogenic, but there’s a lot to be said for them: they’re easy to make, enjoyable, and they can reveal something about the essence of what we really love in a drink.
So, while “make less of an effort” is generally the COMPLETE opposite of my mantra, I decided to ask my Instagram followers for their favorite casual cocktails so that I could catalogue and share our wealth of garbage-y cocktail expertise. Here’s what they said:
- @alan_thornton28: A French 75 with PBR instead of champagne.
- @andrewgura: La Croix grapefruit and whatever rosé is already open.
- @beaucolburn: 1:1 rye/amaro.
- @boozehoundcc: Krogstad aquavit or Green Chartreuse with root beer.
- @Bryanmgreen: Fernet & Coke, or a Mamie Taylor.
- @cheerstohappyhour: Last Word and Aviation.
- @cwillingworth: 2 oz gin, pamplemousse La Croix, and a mint leaf.
- @danielmajid, @ghostquiche: Fernet + Coke.
- @uncorked_oc: Suicide Sangria: wine past its prime, whatever juice is around, flavored vodka, liqueur, soda water, fresh fruit. To be enjoyed with your mother-in-law.
- @friar_stu: Whiskey sour without measuring (and considering trying out a “red neck margarita” made with Mountain Dew and tequila).
- @gastronomcocktails: spiced rum and apple cider.
- @garnishcraftcocktails: Whiskey + glass.
- @heart_r: “Whatever is in the Fridge” cocktail: rum, pineapple juice, coco Lopez, lime, ice, shake in Mason jar. Or vodka, juice, and La Croix.
- @holycityhandcraft: Good vermouth, a big rock, and a lemon twist.
- @jake.on.the.rocks: “I’ve Had a Long Day and am Ready to Party but More Whiskey Will Probably Kill Me:” a lot of tequila, ginger ale, lime, and ginger shot concentrate.
- @jaredlead: Premixed Boulevardiers.
- @mikegilbs: Drinking directly from the Bulleit bottle.
- @nicolasreines: White Russian.
- @oliver.hiller: Cheeky Vimto.
- @ongodavid: Trader Joe’s tea lemonade in summer, pear cider and bourbon in the winter.
- @richardlossing: Manhattan or Martini, without measuring anything and a double garnish.
- @robert_mcgee_: 2 oz cognac, .5 oz Benedictine with ice.
- @spiritedla: frozen peaches, water, ice, and bourbon.
- @the_barleo: gin and tonic with homemade tonic solution and sweetened with whatever syrup or shrub they’re in the mood for.
- @thefrenchmixologist: The White Spider
- @zerospecbebop: PBR and a shot of Mellow Corn whiskey.
May god have mercy on our closet-cocktail-slob souls. Message me on Instagram if you have one you’d like to add!
For more original cocktails and tips on where to drink in California, check out @spiritedLA on Instagram.